(Though installing Stylish is recommended, if your browser supports user scripts, you can also install this style as a user script.)
To use this style, install Stylish.
(Though installing Stylish is recommended, Greasemonkey users can also install this style as a user script.)
To use this style, install Stylish.
(Though installing Stylish is recommended, you can also install as user JS.)
To use this style, first install Stylish.
(Though installing Stylish is recommended, TamperMonkey users can also install this style as a user script.)
|Created||Jan 18, 2009|
|Updated||Nov 21, 2011|
|Installs (this week)||34|
Reasons to install this style --
1. Saves your eyes from fatigue
2. Most videos and images look much better with a dark background. Same applies for flash based documents too.
3. Works uniformly across the web. No need to separately configure different sites. Wikipedia, Google, Orkut, Facebook, Youtube, Yahoo, Hotmail, Blogspot blogs, Wordpress blogs as well all other blogs, news sites, TED, Scribd, Calameo, Google books, Google maps, Wikimapia, Amazon, eBay, Slideshare, Wikitravel, Google Reader, Google Docs, Scientific American, New Scientist, AMO, Scienceblogs, funtrivia, Reuters are only some of the popular sites which appears much more beautiful with this style.
4. Reduces the power consumption of your screen and thereby increasing the life of your Laptops as well as being environment friendly
5. This style is frequently updated to work better with the ever changing web
New features :
2011-10-21 : Adding dedicated support for facebook. May require frequent updates for a few days.
2010-04-23 : Suspending support for Google Wave till its code stabilizes
2010-04-05 : New minimalist theme for Google Wave.
2010-03-14 : Added a declutterer to Twitter
2009-05-06 : Added a minimalist dark and very readable glareless color scheme specially for Google Reader.
Credits to users :
1. Thanks Simon for pointing out that this style works well with "In The Dark" ( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6284 ) theme too.
2. Thanks Tom Zai for suggesting the lightbox fix.
3. Thanks Yoon for pointing out the visited-links-color anomaly in Google Reader.
Some recommendations for better results :
1. Use this style in conjunction with Black background : PitchDark companion - II , Glowing Black Button (Barbiegirl design edit) and Unglaring of Images - Supplement Style
2. Keep your brightness and contrast settings low to avoid glare.
3. Install Royal Noir dark theme for XP
4. Choose a sans-serif font family
5. Use full-screen mode for better utilization of screen space. Press F11. To manage the behaviour of full-screen mode install AutoHide http://www.krickelkrackel.de/autohide/ addon.
6. Use AdblockPlus and AdblockPlus-element-hiding-helper addons to block some jarring background images. The (daily synced) filter list I use is at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3317808/adblock.txt
7. You may also want to try Check marking visited links (with custom color) by marcanth ... it aids in separating visited links from unvisited links and keeps off the pressure to differentiate them by color.
Caveats : As this is a global style meant to work with all websites so sometimes you may find some sites behaving oddly. Some elements may be obscured. Try switching off this style to find out if there is any problem caused by it. I would greatly appreciate if you drop me a line about it. If you have a solution, I would be happy to incorporate it (and of course credit it to you). If you have NoScript and AdBlock running try to see if they are causing problems.
Credits & Updates : I originally derived this style from Light text on black background . The main problem I had with the original style was that it blocked background images eg the wikipedia globe shown below. Since then this style has deviated a lot from its inspiration as well as growing in size and complexity greatly. Please see the changelog below (only last few changes) --
2011-11-21 -- some vexing facebook tweaks for transparencies and their homemade tooltips (which suck terribly)
2011-11-02 -- numerous tweaks to facebook and twitter along with many long pending changes
2011-10-26 -- facebook tweaking with tags, dialogs, forms
2011-10-21 -- Adding dedicated support for facebook. May require frequent updates for a few days.
2011-08-23 -- fixing some funky annoyances in AMO
2011-08-08 -- Long pending and numerous changes/tweaks
Please take the trouble of mailing me if you spot any inconsistency or problem. Write to me at np1 AT nirajp DOT 8k DOT . Please leave a rating if you like this style.
PS : To view more screenshots as well as full list of changes, please visit https://sites.google.com/site/niraxar/software/pitch-dark-companion/pdarkcomp
No discussions posted in the last year. See older discussions. Ask a new question or add a review for this style.